Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Meteorologist Fell in Love with the Mass

Special thanks to Jenny Faber and Monica Hatcher from the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston for sharing this story with us.

Randall Wilson, a meteorologist who attends St. Michael Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, wrote about his upcoming initiation into the Church:

I had always had an interest in the Catholic Church, but being born and raised Baptist all my life, I never really had any chance to attend Mass. I asked a Catholic woman I was interested in if for our first date, we could attend Mass together. I was shell-shocked! I was confused as to why I was the only one who carried a Bible into church! But for some strange reason, I felt something calling me back to St. Michael’s Catholic Church for a second time. The vast differences between Catholicism and the Baptist Church caused me to go out and read books on Catholicism, and to get a better understanding of why Catholics say and do certain things at Mass. I was drawn in by the history of the Catholic Church; and its deep traditions. A few weeks of attending Catholic Mass had me all sorts of interested! One Sunday, I saw on the bulletin that they were inviting people to something called RCIA, which I found out was the way to becoming Catholic. I took a gamble and signed up. I wasn't completely sure if I was making the right decision, but something was telling me to do it.

This blind leap of faith got me to where I am now, in the process of completing the RCIA class. I can honestly say that joining this class was one of best decisions I have ever made! The information was deep, the questions were challenging, but it made me a more complete Christian. The richness and fullness of the Catholic Church isn't found anywhere else. Looking back, I see how much was missing. I'm not even 100 percent Catholic yet, but I can't imagine my life without the holy sacraments, without praying the holy rosary, without confessions, and without the holy Eucharist.

It is by God and His Holy Spirit that I am here in this process. I know without a doubt, that He was that ‘something’ that called me back to Mass that day. I also know that He was there when I took a leap of faith into the RCIA process. It is by the grace of God and His calling that I am becoming Catholic. I was born and raised Baptist, and most of the people I knew were, too, so I have never had a Catholic connection. I, and my entire RCIA class, are proof that God calls us, and we have answered that call. I anxiously look forward to the Easter Vigil, Confirmation, accepting Gabriel, the Archangel as my patron saint, receiving First Eucharist, and joining the richest, fullest, and greatest Church I have ever known, the Catholic Church!

1 comment:

dosco said...

Congratulations!!!! I think that by now you are fully initiated in our wonderful Catholic Church. I really admire your courage and strenght to accepting God's call by saying YES to him. Welcome Home!